Scripture: Job 34:
21 "His eyes are on the ways of mortals;
he sees their every step.
22 There is no deep shadow, no utter darkness,
where evildoers can hide.
23 God has no need to examine people further,
that they should come before him for judgment.
24 Without inquiry he shatters the mighty
and sets up others in their place.
25 Because he takes note of their deeds,
he overthrows them in the night and they are crushed.
26 He punishes them for their wickedness
where everyone can see them,
Observation: We all have to face God someday and give an account of our lives.
Application: I was at a Way of the Master training session last night that spoke about witnessing to atheists. I’ve had many discussions with atheists over the years and have never felt like I got anywhere. The discussions have been good, but I guess to me they all seem nonproductive.
Although I’m not sure if this would make much of a difference to most atheists or not there was a really neat concept brought out in the session that I had not thought of before. Perhaps someone can use it sometime and let me know if it at least makes people think a little harder about things.
If you say "There is no God." That is an absolute statement. And in order to be able to truthfully and with confidence disprove something with an absolute statement you have to know everything there is to know about whatever it is your talking about. For instance, if you say "There is no gold in China." You have to know every inch of China, every cave, every mountain, every person. You would have to be able to know that there are no gold tooth fillings, no rings, no jewelry that was made of gold in the whole of China. But if you are wanting to prove that there IS gold in China, you only have to know for certain of one little piece of gold that is there, and you can confidently say – "There is gold in China."
From Wikipedia Omniscience (pronounced /ɒmˈnɪsiəns/) (or omniscient point-of-view in writing) is the capacity to know everything infinitely, or at least everything that can be known about a character including thoughts, feelings, life and the universe, etc. In monotheism, this ability is typically attributed to God. The God of the Bible is often referred to as "The Great I Am," among other similar names, which also incorporates His omnipresence and omnipotence.
If you think about all the knowledge that exists in the whole of the universe, all knowledge that could ever be known by anyone, anywhere, and at any time, that is a lot of knowledge! How much of that knowledge do you think even the smartest of human beings would ever be able to have? Would you go so far as to say that the smartest of us might have 1% of the total knowledge that the universe contains? Even that small percentage would still be an incredible amount of knowledge.
So even if you had the vast amount of 1% of the total knowledge in the universe and said "There is no God." you would still be leaving out the other 99% of knowledge that you don’t have. Is it possible that somewhere in that 99% of the knowledge available in the rest of the universe that there is ample evidence to prove that there is in fact a supreme God and that you must face him someday and account for your life? Is it at least Possible that in the huge amount of knowledge that you do not have – that evidence of God exists?
Most of the atheists that I’ve encountered are reasonable and rational human beings and pride themselves on being such. I don’t see any way for someone of this nature to be able to disagree that it is possible that evidence for God does exist in knowledge that they have not yet obtained.
So – Do you consider yourself a good person? Have you ever told a lie? Stolen anything? Used God’s name in vane? Lusted in your heart? If then it is possible that there is a God – and you can’t prove that there isn’t, and if you have to face him on judgment day and He judges you according to the Ten Commandments (His law) would you be innocent or guilty? Does this concern you?
If so, the good news is that God gave you a way to be saved from Judgment and that way is by accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior, putting your faith and trust in Him, repenting (turning around) from your sinful life and starting over by being born again into a life of love.
Prayer: Father of All,
Please help us to realize that some day every one of us will have to give an account of our lives before you. And if we stand alone before you, without Jesus, we will ALL come up short, unworthy, and unprepared. Help me to share your love, and the forgiveness that is found in your son Jesus with those whose hearts you are preparing right now. Guide me in my life, my thoughts, my words and my actions so that I can serve you fully each and every day.