Scripture: Hebrews 1
14Isn’t it obvious that all angels are sent to help out with those lined up to receive salvation?
Observation: God sends help when we need it, and it often comes in unsuspected ways.
Application: If I ask you, “Have you ever had an encounter with an Angel?” what would you say? Maybe you would think, “I’ve never seen an Angel, but I would love to – if I could see an Angel it would strengthen my faith in such a powerful way!” Well, if you can’t think of a time when you encountered an angel, perhaps I can help you to strengthen your faith a little bit.
I think that some of us have a very limited definition of Angel. We may think that Angels are just the creatures of the heavenly realms that surround God, and occasionally come down from heaven to do some task God has sent them to do. We may imagine them only as spiritual beings of light with or without wings, but definitely, and most evidently not of this world. I beg to differ with that view of Angels a little bit.
I don’t deny that the beings I just described are Angels, they definitely are, but I also think there are many different types of manifestations of Angels. Even if you stay only with this (heavenly spiritual being of light) view of angels the scriptures differentiate several different types. There are Guardian Angels, Seraphim, Cherubim, Archangels , Angels of The Lord, and there are others as listed below.
In the book of revelation Jesus sends messages to the “Angels” of the seven Churches of Asia Minor and in that context I believe that the word Angel and Messenger are interchangeable, so the Angels of those churches may simply be the people who are acting as God’s messengers, or in other words, the pastors.
Lets look at some of the definitions of Angel from Dictionary.Com
1. one of a class of spiritual beings; a celestial attendant of God. In medieval angelology, angels constituted the lowest of the nine celestial orders (seraphim, cherubim, thrones, dominations or dominions, virtues, powers, principalities or princedoms, archangels, and angels).
2. a conventional representation of such a being, in human form, with wings, usually in white robes.
3. a messenger, esp. of God.
4. a person who performs a mission of God or acts as if sent by God: an angel of mercy.
5. a person having qualities generally attributed to an angel, as beauty, purity, or kindliness.
6. a person whose actions and thoughts are consistently virtuous.
7. an attendant or guardian spirit.
8. a deceased person whose soul is regarded as having been accepted into heaven.
Looking at those may broaden your perceptions of Angels a little bit if you have only thought of them before as the heavenly beings of light. An Angel is a messenger from God, or someone who according to our text from Hebrews is sent to help God’s people.
When has there been someone in your life that went way beyond what you would have expected them to do in order to help you. Perhaps that’s an Angel encounter for you.
I’ve shared before what I believe to have been an Angel encounter of my own. My Angel Encounter
I would love to hear any story of an encounter you may have had.
Please leave a comment with your story!
Help me to notice all the messengers you send to me in the various forms that they come. Although I would love to see one of your heavenly beings, I know that I have an eternity to enjoy that, and I want to recognize the good and noble work that your people do on this earth. Help me to see those Angels that are with us every day and to recognize them as such.
Yield: I give up thinking Angels are only the misty spiritual beings of light with wings. Angels are around us, and among us all the time.